Monday, November 23, 2009

When all else fails, read the directions. Dad writes again.

Greetings Family and Friends:

Tom here. It has been almost two weeks since Mikey's accident and as you may have surmised by my prolonged silence, he is not recovering at the rate that I anticipated at the beginning of this ordeal. My previous assessment of Mikey's head injury and prognosis for recovery painted a very rosy picture and time has proven that I missed the mark by a considerable margin. Why would I project false optimism, fabricating what amounted to no more than fantastic whoppers, in spite of all evidence to the contrary? There is a reason so please cut me some slack. Thanks.
The Lourdes Phenomenon- The reference is to the town in France (Lourdes) where miraculous cures of illness are reputed to take place. There are many who firmly believe that some "miracle" will occur after brain injury and return their loved one to normalcy (recovery). Until very recently, I was one of them. There is no shame in following blind faith in a merciful and loving Higher Authority who we call God in my household, but premival animal instinct to protect offspring lead me to forget one of the basic tenets of stepping out on faith; namely, Thy will be done, not mine.

Opinions on Mikey's condition and prospect for recovery vary among family members and in the interest of preserving unity, I will refrain from sharing my current views on this matter. I will say that regardless of the gravity of his condition, I know in my heart that everything is going to be ok in the long run. We are passengers going on a very long and difficult journey. Only He knows our final destination. I trust our pilot and I am not afraid. It's all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment